Hours of Research
Over the years, we have seen many different pre-workout supplements hit the market. Some products boost energy and strength, while others are geared more toward better endurance and recovery. And while many of these supplements help you achieve those goals, we noticed that many of them also taste incredibly bad!
To help you avoid bad-tasting supplements, we've ranked the five best tasting pre-workout supplements. And all of these deliver when it comes down to their core functions: to help gym-goers achieve results beyond what they ever thought was possible. What is most striking about each supplement, however, is its great flavor.
Let's take a look.
4 Gauge features some pretty great ingredients that increase overall physical and cognitive performance.
• Optimal doses of caffeine and l-theanine for energy and concentration
• Increases the effectiveness of workouts
• No artificial sweetners
#2nd Best Choice
Lean Pre-Workout by Transparent Labs
Transparent Labs' Lean Pre-Workout is a more natural option for a great tasting pre-workout supplement. It uses stevia instead of artificial sweeteners, contains no artificial coloring, is gluten-free and non-GMO, and has no artificial preservatives.
• No artificial additives
• Large selection of flavors
• Balanced blend that suits many athletes
#3rd Best Choice
Pre Lab Pro Next-Gen Pre-Workout Formula
This supplement features an array of ingredients that offer excellent energy support, and it will enhance your performance and help you feel fantastic.
• Good amounts of vitamins and minerals
• Provides a smooth burst of energy suitable for cardio workouts
• Tastes good and contains no artificial sweeteners
The Best Tasting Pre-Workout Supplements
1. 4 Gauge
Flavor: Fruit Blast
Special ingredients: Creatine, l-citrulline, caffeine, l-theanine
Diet feature: No data
4 Gauge features some pretty great ingredients that will help you lift weights or run on a treadmill—together, they create a formula that helps with overall physical and cognitive performance.
The ingredients in this product promote better blood flow to the muscles and thereby help with better oxygen delivery during workouts, which means greater muscle gains, faster recovery, and quicker muscle building.
4 Gauge comes in a single flavor—Fruit Blast. Its taste is superior to that of many of its competitors and there was no peculiar aftertaste when we sampled it.
This is one of the best tasting pre-workouts on the market, and it doesn't contain any artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes. The ingredients are clear and you can easily see what you're getting—there are absolutely no secrets.
2. Lean Pre-Workout by Transparent Labs
Flavor: Blue Raspberry, Orange, Sour Grape, Tropical Punch, Strawberry Lemonade, Green Apple
Special ingredients: L-Citrulline, BCAAs, beta-alanine, caffeine
Diet feature: Vegan, gluten-free
Transparent Labs' Lean Pre-Workout is a more natural option for a pre-workout supplement. It uses stevia instead of artificial sweeteners, contains no artificial coloring, is gluten-free and non-GMO, and has no artificial preservatives. In addition to being good for your health, it comes in six delicious flavors.
When you buy Transparent Labs' pre-workout powder, you know that you're getting quality. This pre-workout supplement is backed by science and is formulated with the supervision of licensed dietitians, nutritionists, and researchers.
One of the results you can expect from this supplement is an increased resting metabolic rate, making it a great aid in conjunction with exercise for weight loss or losing fat mass. Several studies conducted on this product also showed improved cognition and reaction time.
No artificial additives
Large selection of flavors
Balanced blend that suits many athletes
Vegan-friendly and gluten-free
3. Pre Lab Pro Next-Gen Pre-Workout Formula
Flavor: Natural Berry Flavor
Special ingredients: L-citrulline, l-glutathione, l-tyrosine
Diet feature: Vegan, allergen-free, gluten-free, non-GMO, soy-free
The Pre Lab Pro Next-Gen Pre-Workout Formula is sure to help you crush it in the gym! It features an array of common pre-workout ingredients that offer excellent energy support, and it will not only enhance your performance but also help you feel fantastic. This formula is effective, and it's 100% vegan-friendly, too.
This pre-workout supplement comes with a guarantee. When you buy it, you can be sure that the product is free of proprietary blends, so you'll know how much of each ingredient is in every scoop.
The formula breaks down into an efficient and powerful pre-workout stack and produces highly spirited workouts. Plus, it has a great-tasting berry flavor.
We tried the powder a few different ways—stirred with water or mixed in a shaker bottle—and each way worked fine. There were some lumpy bits to be found at the bottom of the glass after stirring, but these did not seem to be an issue when using our favorite shaker bottle for making protein shakes.
4. Nitrosurge by Jacked Factory
Flavor: More than ten flavor options
Special ingredients: L-Citrulline, beta-alanine, betaine anhydrous, caffeine
Diet feature: No data
Nitrosurge is a powerful pre-workout powder that will get you ready to burn fat and build muscle. This synergistic formula contains high quantities of ingredients known for promoting fat-burning and muscle-building: l-citrulline, betaine anhydrous, beta-alanine, caffeine, and theanine. That's why most bodybuilders who cut use Nitrosurge during their cutting cycle.
There is a diverse selection of flavors, with more than ten options for you to choose from. I would highly recommend trying the pineapple-flavored product first.
Overall, the product is delicious, but certain flavors don't quite taste natural.
5. NutraBio PRE
Flavor: Blue Raspberry, Cherry Limeade, Dragonfruit Candy, Grape Berry Crush, Raspberry Lemonade, Strawberry Lemon Bomb, Watermelon
Special ingredients: L-tyrosine, beta-alanine, creatine, caffeine, electrolytes
Diet feature: No data
NutraBio's pre-workout powder has a great combination of effective ingredients at therapeutic doses that will maximize strength, endurance, and focus during your workouts.
If you take time to research the ingredients and the doses, you will see that the company has taken care of every little detail. There's not a single ingredient included that doesn't have some solid scientific endorsement behind it.
And NutraBio PRE’s taste is among the best out there—its seven flavor options never leave a bitter aftertaste, so you get an energy boost that tastes great.
What to Look For in a Best Tasting Pre-Workout Supplement
When looking for the best-quality pre-workout supplement, it's important to look at the ingredients and other criteria. We recommend you focus on these in particular:
It's important that pre-workout components moderately stimulate the central nervous system and create a working formula, and not give inadequate energy or over-stimulate the nervous system. Generally, the components of pre-workouts can be divided into light and aggressive.
Light pre-workouts contain substances such as creatine and amino acids (taurine, glutamine, arginine, citrulline, beta-alanine), as well as BCAAs, various vitamins and minerals, and of course caffeine in doses up to 400 mg per serving as a stimulant. [1, 2, 3]
They act on the body gently, create a reserve resource for the body's work, and will help you recover faster. Pre-workout supplements with a range of light ingredients are usually suitable.
Aggressive pre-workouts contain all sorts of additional stimulants such as high doses of caffeine, guarana, yohimbine, ephedra, geranium, and other extracts and substances that stimulate the nervous system. These pre-workouts put a lot of stress on the heart. Be careful, and choose a formulation that suits your fitness and overall health. [2, 4, 5]
Define a goal
It's also important to understand your needs. Your desired result may combine different needs, so it is important to find a balanced, well-matched supplement with the optimal doses of ingredients per serving.
- If you want to gain strength and stamina, try a blend of creatine, beta-alanine, caffeine, etc. [1, 2]
- For concentration and energy, try a formula with taurine, tyrosine, caffeine, yohimbine, Rhodiola rosea, etc. [1, 2]
- A stimulating effect comes from l-citrulline, l-arginine, and l-ornithine. [2, 6, 7]
- The best recovery is provided by BCAAs, beta-alanine, and glutamine. [1, 2]
Effective pre-workout supplements are built exclusively on a balanced composition made of ingredients that go well together. They are not cheap (in the range of $27-50), but they work well. The cost is influenced by the breadth of ingredients in the composition, the amount of active ingredient per serving, the number of servings in the container, and the brand.
This is a matter of personal convenience when using the product.
- Capsules and tablets are most convenient.
- Powder needs to be diluted with water or another liquid. This isn't always convenient, but powders have a variety of flavors and are absorbed quickly. In addition, this is a more budget-friendly option.
- Liquid pre-workouts do not require dilution and start working as quickly as possible, but this is the most expensive form of the product.
What can I mix with my pre-workout to make it taste better?
The best way to make a pre-workout powder taste better is to consume it with juice. If you are consuming pre-workouts with water, then you can add your favorite flavored BCAAs or flavored powder.
What is the best flavor for pre-workouts?
Everyone has their favorite tastes, so there's no one answer. In our article, we have presented both flavored pre-workout supplements and regular pre-workouts that taste good.
Wrapping Up: What Is the Best Tasting Pre-Workout Supplement?
At the top of our list of the best tasting pre-workouts is 4 Gauge. Its taste is superior to that of many of its competitors, and there was no peculiar aftertaste when we sampled it. Plus, it increases energy and stamina during exercise and has proven to be very effective overall.
Other great tasting pre-workout supplements on this list are also noteworthy. Each has its own ingredients and flavor options. If 4 Gauge's pre-workout powder doesn't satisfy you, try some of the others on the list.
1. Andrew R. Jagim, Patrick S. Harty, Clayton L. Camic, Common Ingredient Profiles of Multi-Ingredient Pre-Workout Supplements, retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413194/
2. Patrick S. Harty, Hannah A. Zabriskie, Jacob L. Erickson, Paul E. Molling, Chad M. Kerksick, Andrew R. Jagim, Multi-ingredient pre-workout supplements, safety implications, and performance outcomes: a brief review, retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6083567/
3. Claudia Mello Meirelles, Cristaiane Matsuura, Roberto Souza Silva, Jr., Felipe Frances Guimaraes, Paulo Sergio Chagas Gomes, Acute Effects of L-Arginine Supplementation on Oxygen Consumption Kinetics and Muscle Oxyhemoglobin and Deoxyhemoglobin during Treadmill Running in Male Adults, retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413837/
4. Pieter A. Cohen, John C. Travis, Peter H. J. Keizers, Patricia Deuster, Bastiaan J. Venhuis, Four experimental stimulants found in sports and weight loss supplements: 2-amino-6-methylheptane (octodrine), 1,4-dimethylamylamine (1,4-DMAA), 1,3-dimethylamylamine (1,3-DMAA) and 1,3-dimethylbutylamine (1,3-DMBA), retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29115866/
5. Nicholas Paivanas, MD, Cardiologist, How Workout Supplements May Harm the Heart and Why Natural Nutrition Is Best, retrieved from https://blog.medstarwashington.org/2019/06/06/how-workout-supplements-may-harm-the-heart-and-why-natural-nutrition-is-best/
6. WebMD, L-Citrulline, retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1245/l-citrulline
7. WebMD, Ornithine, retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-200/ornithine